Tackle Messes Easily with the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
As a pet owner, I’m all too familiar with the constant battle against fur tumbleweeds and embedded pet hair in my carpets and upholstery. My old vacuum just wasn’t cutting it when it came to tackling these messy challenges. Seeking a powerful upright vacuum ideal for pets, I decided to give the Shark Navigator Lift-Away
a try. After putting it to the test, I’m blown away by its cleaning abilities!
This innovative upright vacuum packs some serious punch when it comes to sucking up pesky pet hair. The lift-away canister and portable tools provide convenient cleaning power for stairs, sofas, and beyond. Read my detailed review covering all you need to know about this versatile vacuum.
Thoughtful Design for Whole-Home Cleaning
Ideal for pet owners, allergy sufferers, and busy households alike, this Shark Navigator upright vacuum offers features tailored for convenient and thorough home cleaning:
- A self-cleaning brushroll avoids frustrating jams by actively removing wrapped hair during use.
- The lift-away canister detaches to become a lightweight portable vacuum.
- HEPA filtration captures 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
- An array of specialized cleaning tools target tight spaces, upholstery, and more.
- A generous 25 foot power cord offers extended cleaning reach.
- The large dust cup empties mess-free with the touch of a button.
With thoughtful touches like these, this vacuum makes keeping my home fur and mess-free a total breeze!
Before diving into the review, let’s look at some key technical specs:
- Dimensions: 45.6” H x 12” L x 9.5” W
- Weight: Only 13.42 lbs for the full vacuum
- Cord Length: 25 feet
- Dust Cup Capacity: 2.8 quarts
- Power: 800 watt motor
- Voltage: Standard 120V outlet
- Filtration: HEPA media filter and foam filter
- Attachments: Crevice tool, pet multi-tool, dusting brush
At just over 13 pounds, it’s quite lightweight for an upright model. The generous cord length allows you to clean large areas without unplugging.
Convenient Lift-Away Canister
My favorite feature by far is the lift-away canister. With the push of a button, the canister detaches from the body to become a portable vacuum.
The lightweight canister makes it super easy to clean stairs, furniture, curtains, ceiling fans, and anywhere else challenging to maneuver an upright. No more struggling with awkward attachments!
Reattaching it takes seconds – just fit it back into place with a satisfying click. I’m amazed by the versatility this provides. I can deep clean the entire home without having to lug around a clunky upright everywhere.
Serious Suction Power for Stubborn Pet Hair
Between my two shedding dogs and equally shedding husband, I needed serious suction to tackle all the embedded pet hair in my carpets and rugs. This vacuum delivers on that front!
The 800 watt motor generates powerful suction comparable to far pricier models. It lifts even stubborn, matted fur from carpets with just one pass.
The brushroll switch allows you to turn the spinning bristles off when cleaning hard floors or using attachments. The suction alone is enough to lift most debris and dust.
While very thick, plush carpeting is challenging for any vacuum, this one handles most carpets with total ease. My carpets look freshly groomed after each vacuum session!
Self-Cleaning Brushroll Eases Frustrating Jams
As any pet owner knows, cleaning up constantly shed fur usually leads to the brushroll getting hopelessly clogged with tangled hair. Not fun to stop and cut out!
Amazingly, the self-cleaning brushroll on this model actively removes wrapped strands during use. Special combs guides the hair off the bristles and into the dust cup.
No more stopping to wrestle with frustrating tangles mid-clean! While occasional manual cleaning is still needed, this hugely cuts down on time-consuming jams.
HEPA Filtration for Allergy Sufferers
In addition to pets, we deal with seasonal allergies in my household. That’s why I love the included HEPA filtration system.
It captures over 99% of dust, dander, pollen and other allergens inside the vacuum. The exhaust air leaves cleaner than it came in!
This makes indoor air noticeably cleaner and fresher after vacuuming. The washable foam filters are also easy to maintain compared to paper bags.
In addition to the powerful upright vacuum, several specialized cleaning tools come included:
- Crevice tool – For reaching into tight nooks and gaps
- Upholstery tool – Equipped with a brush for cleaning fabric surfaces
- Pet multi-tool – Features both bristles and rubber fins ideal for lifting pet hair
- Dusting brush – For gently cleaning delicate surfaces and vents
These provide professional-level cleaning abilities for tricky areas like stairs, sofas, blinds, vents and more. I’m able to deep clean my entire home without having to buy additional attachments.
Potential Drawbacks to Consider
While this is my favorite vacuum I’ve owned, a few potential downsides are worth mentioning:
- Messy dust cup emptying – The bottom opening dust cup can spill debris if not emptied carefully over a trash bag.
- Short hose – The 5 foot hose limits reaching ability when using the detached canister.
- HEPA filters require replacement – These specialized filters must be replaced about once a year.
- Not ideal for very thick carpet – Performance understandably drops on extremely plush or shag carpeting.
- Brushroll can’t manually spin – No way to manually spin the brushroll to cut out tangled strands.
However, these are common issues among vacuums in this price range. The outstanding performance outweighs these minor gripes for me.
Tips for Using and Maintaining
To keep your Shark Navigator vacuum performing at its best, follow these usage tips:
- Empty the dust cup often to maintain strong suction.
- Rinse and replace filters every 3 months for optimal allergen control.
- Detach the canister to easily clean stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach spots.
- Use the specialized cleaning tools regularly to tackle pet hair, dust and dirt in tight spaces.
- Check the bristles after use for any wrapped strands; carefully cut out with scissors.
- Register your warranty online within 28 days of purchase.
- Contact Shark support right away if any performance issues arise.
With proper maintenance, this vacuum should provide years of hassle-free cleaning power. Follow all instructions to get the most out of your investment.
The Final Verdict
For convenient, thorough home cleaning – especially when pets are involved – I can’t rave enough about the Shark Navigator Lift-Away. The strong suction tackles embedded fur with ease while the lift-away canister provides versatile portability.
Features like the self-cleaning brushroll, HEPA filtration, generous tools and cord length make household cleaning a breeze. While no vacuum is perfect, the cleaning performance delivered by this Shark upright vacuum simply can’t be beat.
If you’re looking to cut down on frustrating jams, allergens and constantly clearing clogged bristles, this vacuum deserves a spot at the top of your list. Tackling all the messes life throws your way becomes so much smoother. Your floors and lungs will thank you!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the warranty period?
It comes with a 5 year limited warranty, one of the longest in the industry. Register online within 28 days.
Does it work well on all floor types?
Yes, it cleans carpets and hard floors effectively thanks to adjustable suction and brushroll.
How often do the filters need replaced?
For optimal performance, rinse and replace the foam and HEPA filters about every 3-6 months.
What’s the hose length when the canister is detached?
The hose stretches to about 5 feet long, allowing decent reach with the portable canister.
Can the motorized brushroll be switched off?
Yes, there is a brushroll on/off switch to disengage it when desired.
Does the lift-away canister stand upright on its own?
No, it must lean against a wall or lie flat unless attached to the vacuum body.
Is this Shark vacuum heavy to carry and use?
At just over 13 pounds, it’s very lightweight for an upright model. The detachable canister weighs even less.
Where are replacement parts like filters available?
Shark sells all replacement components like filters, brushrolls, belts and batteries on their website.
What maintenance does this vacuum require?
Regularly empty the dust cup, clean the filters every 3-6 months, check the brushroll for tangled hair, and replace any worn parts.
Are there different suction modes?
No, it only operates at full suction power but has a brushroll on/off setting.
Please let me know if you have any other questions!